Well depending on the actions of the Internet Retirement Police, I may have to hand in my early retiree membership card because I just got a job yesterday. *Gasp* And according to some people you can’t be retired if you have a job which to me always sounded so silly as I could care less what people call what I’m doing. Call it: changing career paths or semi-retirement or what ever term makes you feel better about it.
Yet in my case, I’ve always said I would be willing to do some work in my early retirement period because honestly why not get paid to do things that I enjoy. I called these ‘fun jobs’ and when I left work I had identified a few that I wouldn’t mind doing. The top options were working at a brewery or a library since working to make beer which I like to drink and handling books which I love to read don’t really sound like too much work to me. As I previously mentioned I actually work extremely casually at a brewery in town (I have put in all of four days of work there so I have a hard time even calling it a job), but I got to do one of my ‘fun jobs.’ Now I can say I’m about to cross another one off my list.
My new job is working at public library as a Page at my local branch starting next week. It is only a temporary contract until August for 18 hours a week but that is fairly perfect amount of time for me as I don’t want anything close to full time. I will be the guy who shelves books, pull holds, scan in returned books and basically do also the same work I currently volunteer to do once a week at our local school library.
I’m actually fairly sure my volunteer work actually got me an interview that occurred on Monday and the fact I took a 20 hour online course on how library’s work out of interest back in 2018. After all nothing says I want to do this work like having over a year of experience at it and some training towards it and of course my volunteer boss at the school library also agreed to be a reference for me. So that is a hint for retirees looking to break into a new field as a fun job; try to get some relevant experience and if possible training towards the job.
And finally I think the other thing that really helped me get an interview is I addressed the obvious question of why the hell an engineer with my experience would want a job like this in my cover letter of my application. I specifically noted that I have recently changed career paths to self employed writing and I had a flexible schedule. I didn’t even mention retirement as, after all, most people could not care less.
But of course I now have a fun issue…what to do with that extra money I will be making? I decided since this is a longer term job I’m going to break up the money into two parts. 10% of my income will go towards me saving up to buy a 3D printer (I don’t need one of those but I do want one). The other 90% of the income will go towards our slush fund to pay for house renovations or vacations. While my wife and I haven’t specifically decided what that extra money will go towards we are leaning toward the idea of replacing our kitchen countertops. As that has been on my wife’s want to do list for a while.
So how do you address work in retirement? What term do you like to call it and what would you do with the extra money?