Ok, now it’s hot. For weeks the temperature has been below normal in my little part of the world, so until yesterday I forgot how different I am to a lot of other people. I rarely use my air conditioner. I went for a walk last night and just about every house had the low hum of the air conditioner going full tilt trying to keep up. Heck, even at work I could see the system load demand just keep climbing as the outside temperature rose. Air conditioning (AC) is nice, but it sucks up a lot of power which costs money. Here are a few tips on keeping cool on the cheap
- Seal the house. Beyond saving money in the winter sealing your house keeps it cooler in the summer too. So stuff cracks and fill gaps and keep out the heat.
- Cool the house overnight. Open the windows the second the outside temperature is within a degree or two of the temperature in the house. The air flow will feel good and overnight you can often get down to a comfortable 19 C depending on the overnight low.
- Close the windows and doors in the day. Now you have cooled the house, keep it that way. Shut blinds and keep doors closed and keep in all that cool air from overnight.
- Use Fans. Keeping air moving sometimes can help a lot. So consider turning on ceiling fans and getting a few portable fans in gear. They are a lot cheaper than the AC to run.
- Hang out in the basement. If you have a basement spend more time down there during the hotest point of the evening. I found mine was a nice 18 C when outside temperature was over 30 C. All for the cost of nothing.
So how do you keep cool without AC? If you have an idea, please share.