Tick. Tick. Did you notice that? No, I didn’t either. Well during the last weekend this blog offically turned two years old and I forgot about it. I’m still trying to decide if that is a good thing or not.
Well after two years of doing this I’ve come to certain key realizations about personal finance and this blog. They are:
- The Basic Math Is Easy. Really it all comes down to living below your means and getting into the habit of saving. After that it’s all just details and math to determine what is right for you.
- The Emotional Is Hard. Getting to know your own head and why you do certain things is the most challenging aspect of personal finance. Can I really handle a 30% loss in my RRSP’s? I wasn’t sure until recently and now I know I can sleep well with that.
- Happiness is Better than Money. Yes you read that right. I think people dreadfully under estimate how important it is to be happy in your own life. The trick is to find a balance point. You may not love your job, but if you at least like it, it pays well and you like your co-workers you are well on your way to being happy.
- Conventional is Over Rated. Do what works for you and don’t worry about what others think. You are living your life not their life.
- You Guys are The Best Readers. No really you are! I mean I can be sick and miss a post and you take it in stride. You provide great feedback and interesting post ideas. I don’t think I’ve ever had to delete an attack comment on anyone because if you disagree you at least keep it civil.
So to celebrate I’m giving away two gift cards to a store of your choice. First prize will be a $75 gift card (CDN $) and second place will get a $25 gift card (CDN $). To enter this contest you have two methods:
- Leave a comment on this post for one entry.
- Link back to this post from your blog to receive a second entry.
The winners will be picked from a randomn number generator. The contest closes on Nov. 21, 2008 at 8pm (CST – SK Time). Maximum of two entries per person (one from a comment and one from a link to this post). A valid email address is required for me to contact the winner. Gift cards are limited to stores I can either buy the gift card online or purchase in person in Regina, SK. Best of luck.