Ok, I’m a fairly frugal guy and I’m comfortable with that. I know I don’t care about some things so I don’t spend the money, yet some people amaze me with things they will do to save a penny or two. I basically consider someone cheap when they place no value on their time so they will do things to save very small amounts of money like a dime or less.
So in the interest of entertainment here are a few things I would consider cheap and question why anyone would do them.
- Recycling Drier Lint by burning it in the fireplace – Umm, it’s drier lint. If you don’t use the drier a whole lot there really isn’t much to save. What is drier lint worth anyway? Perhaps 1/10000th of a garment or 1/1000 of a penny.
- Folding toilet paper into triangle pieces to use less – Pardon?!? It’s TP folks, how much can you possible save on a square or two per sitting?
- Mixing used paint cans to produce a new colour to paint in the inside of your home- Why play Russian roulette with your decorating? Come on people paint is the cheapest thing to decorate with in the first place. Just spend some money already and keep the colour for a few years. I’m fairly sure you can annualized the cost to a $1-2 per year.
- Keeping your home so cold in winter time that you need to wear a t-shirt, long sleeve shirt and a sweater just to feel comfortable – Ok, I agree with turning down the heat, but let’s be reasonable folks.
- Buying food that is less expensive even if it tastes bad – This is a complete mystery to me on why people do this. Buying another brand if it tastes the same is fine or skipping it if you can make it from scratch I get. Yet saving a dime on soup that tastes awful is just weird.
- Spending 20 hours to fix something on a previous tax return that will get you a $5 refund – I’m fairly certain that once you add up the CRA’s paper pushing and your time you would have easily wasted $200 by doing this, not to mention the cost of the cheque.
Anyway that’s my cheap list. If you’ve got one to add please share.